Friday, May 2, 2014

Glossybox April 2014 review



This month's Glossybox US had a Ciate paint pot nail polish (subscribers were sent one of 13 different color options), Aqua Spa Body Creme in "Relax" Lavender and Chamomile scent, Bellapierre Lip Gloss in Vanilla pink, LaSplash Shadow base, and Caldrea scented bodywash in one of 3 scents.

As far as Glossyboxes go, this seemed a little less high-end than usual, but for the sizes of the products, still worth the subscription price. This is my first time trying Ciate paint pots. I am a loyal fan of Butter London, Essie, and Nails, Inc. I would consider buying more Ciate now though. It was opaque at 2 thick coats and the colors are so creative. I'm glad I got this shade, "Big Yellow Taxi", because I have a bunch of pastel yellows but this one is brighter and a perfect sunshine yellow.

Once I started seeing people's boxes start popping up on instagram, I looked up Aqua Spa, which is new bath and body company carried on amazon and in Walmart. I sort of judged it right then. I have plenty of drugstore products mixed in with the specialty or high-end ones though, so I really shouldn't have. When it arrived, I used it with an open mind because I figured if it turned out to be awesome, at least it would be cheap to go get more. Turns out, their body cream is a great value. The lavender scent is in no way cheap-smelling. Not as thick as all my favorite body butters, it had a perfect texture for hands. Their other scent lines are "Sooth" and "Energize". I would suggest they come up with a line called "Escape" with coconut and tahitian vanilla... I would be ALL over that one lol.

Bellapierre is a line of mineral cosmetics sampled by Glossybox before. Subscribers received their new lip gloss in Vanilla Pink, which is really more of a rose gold or pinkish copper on me. It says that these are flavored, I'm not sure I would call this a flavor but it has a hint of toasted coconut when first applied. Also, I would not call it a gloss. It's not glossy, it applies like a creamy liquid lipstick so if you hate super sticky shiny glosses, this would be perfect for you. I will use this a ton in the summer, especially when my skin gets more tanned.

The LASplash shadow base is another not-so-lux product this month but it definitely works! I regularly use Benefit's Stay Don't Stray and UD's Primer Potions as shadow primers but this works differently. It's very sticky and hold shadow nothing else will. I applied it before UD's Naked 3 palette shadow in Dust-- the shadow with the most fallout ever. By pressing the shadow into the base with a brush there was no fallout. All the glitter stayed where it should and I am extremely impressed. I would definitely recommend to anyone who likes heavy shimmer/glitter shadows.

Lastly, Caldrea's body wash didn't suck but I wouldn't purchase. I was hoping for the Coconut Fig scent (of course) but got the Aloe Water Apricot. It's a nice scent but it seemed to change in the shower from the bottle... maybe that's just my nose. I like that it's free of everything sufates, parabens, formaldehyde, etc., and it's vegan/cruelty free though.

FYI, next month's Glossybox will be a collab with Bergdorf Goodman so we are in for 6 lux products for sure for May and a $25 gift card to BG. Spoilers have already been released and a possible box option is shown below.  I can't wait!